I discovered how true this was last week. I had to commute to the city for a training class. I enjoyed the class and the time I spent in the car talking to my sister on the phone (good thing I don't commute regularly or I'd have a HUGE cell phone bill). I have a habit of driving the way I write a book: with a vague map. Think Google maps with the size dialed down.
So, off I went. The route was direct and simple. On the map, anyway. But when I got downtown, the roads weren't straight and some were one-way. I drove around the block at least three times the first morning trying to find the convention center. It was right across the crooked street (which had changed names). Coming home was a bigger adventure. There were one-way streets I hadn't planned on. And the map said nothing about not being able to turn left off Mission. I ended up in the Tenderloin.
If you've been to San Francisco, you might shudder a little. Or laugh. This is one of the seedier parts of town. I locked my doors. Later, I chalked it up to research. You can imagine all the interesting characters I saw! I had no idea there were so many of them in one place. I made it out safe and sound. And had a little adventure in between.
So, as you head off in your book. Even if you have a good map (or think you do), be prepared for some adventures. Some one-way streets, name changes, and "no left turns."
My sister says I should get one of those "GPS thingys." What would be the fun in that? I wouldn't have anything to blog about.
Happy writing!!
2 comments:
Nice post! And it deals with my favorite quote from William Least--Heat Moon:
Be careful going in search of adventure - it's ridiculously easy to find.
I'm glad your adventure ended well! But I can relate to how you write with all the murky stuff in the middle and finding a lot of side roads you weren't anticipating!
Post a Comment