Last week, it rained. It rained and rained and rained and didn't quit for about 6 days.
Tuesday morning, just as I was getting up for work, the power dipped and failed. When it hadn't come back 30 minutes later, I called into work. Someone was there, sending people home for the day. Hooray! So, by candlelight and wrapped in a blanket until noon, I wrote (thank God for paper and pen!). I wrote all day. When work was still closed the next day, I wrote all that day, too. Rain came down in sheets, lightning flashed outside the windows, thunder rocked the building and set car alarms off down the street, but I was tucked inside with my magical world. The rain (and the flooded parking garage) kept me there. I was beginning to wonder if it was my birthday!
The next day, when I went back to work, I saw that divine intervention occasionally has a price: the ceiling in my building had collapsed due to a leak in the roof. The building (and unfortunately, the library full of wonderful physics books) was trashed. I created a makeshift office in another building using only my coffee cup and a laptop. But still I smiled. I got to write for two whole days.
Who could ask for a more perfect storm??
Writers, remember to find the silver linings in even the darkest storm clouds.
Happy writing!
3 comments:
What an amazing couple of days! Not having electricity certainly removes a bunch of other distractions. I'm curious if you incorporated any of your experience into your story.
Great comment, Suzette! The best thing about losing electricity (besides removing my major distractors of email, internet, and the PS3) is the absolute quiet that comes when all the electrical noise is gone. Becoming completely aware of that silence was actual pretty important in my story (in between all that thunder and roaring rain, that is...)
It sounds perfect. I find that writing longhand seems to allow total immersion into a story, for some odd reason. I hope you got a lot of pages written! Too bad about all the books being lost, even if they were physics books.
Post a Comment