Pages

Feb 8, 2010

This is Your Fish Tank on Editing

Editing your novel is a lot like cleaning out your fish tank.  I don't know about you, but my first draft has a tendency to look a lot like this:


There's so much algae (extra layers of unnecessary material, cluttered phrases, and confusing word choices), that sometimes it's hard to tell what is actually IN the tank.

So, then I go through it.  More times than I care to admit.  The first edit is usually a content edit.  I see where I need to develop and where I need to hack away. I concentrate on defining my characters, describing setting, and honing that plot.  A lot of times in this stage, I get some great ideas for twisting the plot and new scenes to enhance things (I have a habit of being pretty short on the first go-round, so I don't have to worry about word count).  This is also where I really develop the main character's voice.

Then comes the subsequent edits.  These are the ones where I get rid of those -ly words, the overused -ing words, the overused words, and confusing phrases, just to name a few.

When I'm finally ready to start amassing a list of agents, I hope that I've worked and scrubbed hard enough that my story now looks like this:


Whoa!  There's a big red fish in there!  And he thinks he's really tough (but he's not... although, if he were nicer he could live in the big tank with the algae eater).  By peeling away the layers of gunk, the situation becomes a lot more clear.  And interesting!

What are your favorite ways of editing?  Is it a multi-stage process?  Or are you one of these blessed people who can write it right the first time?

Happy editing!

5 comments:

Linda Sandifer said...

I have heard of people who write it right the first time, but I'm not one of them. My process is quite similar to yours. I do tend to explain too much, though, so I have to chop out a lot in subsequent edits.

Elana Johnson said...

Man, I'm like drowning in an oil spill. It takes many many passes to get it all cleaned up. And it's not pretty in between. :)

Julie Dao said...

GREAT analogy. My tank is filled with algae right now and I don't have an algae eater. Gotta sift through the muck and put in some fresh water!

B.J. Anderson said...

Eww! I ran over my sink when I was editing once. It was awesome.

Amanda Gaume said...

Linda: Glad I'm not the only one!

Elana and Julie: Eww... but I hear ya!

B.J.: I saw that picture. At least Kermit had a great time playing with the bubbles!