Go Short to Go Long
I have a running confession to make: I hate track work. I'm not overly fond of excessive speed work, either. I despise that burning, nauseous, dizzy feeling it gives me. I detest the way it makes my legs feel like J-ello. But still, I do it. Why? Because it makes me a better runner.
I have a writing confession to make: short stories are not my thing. I struggle with them the way you would a wild and unruly horse. Every potential short story idea runs away with me, threatening to become a full-fledged novel, until at the end of the day, I'm left exhausted, bruised, and shaking and not always triumphant. But still I write them. Why? Because they make me a better writer (I hope!).
Just like running short, fast distances hones muscles that long distance doesn't (and therefore strengthens the long run), writing short stories keeps us at our best. Short stories force us to focus our craft on character, plot, theme, and setting, and do it all in a short space (without getting sidetracked).
I challenge myself about every three months (or so) to write a short story. I usually try to draft a story for my favorite short story contest, mostly because it's free and gives me a quarterly deadline to work toward. But you can also write them to submit to magazines or e-zines, other contests, or (as I often do) for my own edification. I frequently write part (or all) of the backstory on my novel as a short story. No one sees it but me (lucky for the rest of you!), but I get to know the characters and get all their baggage out of my system so I don't have to explore it in the novel itself. I like to think it strengthens my character development and helps me focus on the story of the novel. Plus, burning quads and lungs aside, it can be kind of fun.
What are your favorite reasons for writing short stories? Do you have any favorite venues? Or are you the Jamaican track team of short story writing? Tell it all, but tell it quick. :)
Happy (short) writing!

5 comments:
I love writing stories for anthologies! Pill Hill Press has a whole bunch of anthologies accepting submissions right now. I have an Atlantis story, a Necromancer story, and a Prince of Shadows story with them right now.
I didn't like writing short stories until I figured out how much it helps with my writing, and now I love it. I'm so glad you force yourself to do it! Maybe you'll enjoy it more someday.
Oh, I love writing short stories!! :D It gets my brain in a writing frame of mind and is kind of like a warm-up for me. Great post!
I really enjoyed your post. As for short stories, I've written quite a few over the years and even had a few of them published, but I don't set out to write them. It's only when an idea just comes to me and I know it won't make a book.
Aubrie and Bonny - when I grow up, I want to be like you guys and love short stories... I think I'm getting there, but it's taken a while!
Linda - it's wonderful that they just come to you. I wish short story ideas just came to me, but I really have to go hunting for them... track them for days... and then struggle to get them home once I have them (a lot of times, they escape).
Thanks for the comments!
I didn't think I would like writing short stories as I don't like reading them too much. I always feel cheated. Like, hey, where's the rest of it? But I love, love writing them. They are so much fun. My next book is based on one of mine.
PS My sisters are my readers, too!!
Post a Comment