No, I am not dead. Yes,
I have been absent for a very, very, very epically long time. There are excuses, and crazy stories, something
about saving the world, and maybe a fairy-tale wedding, but the fact is, life
happened.
That said, thanks to Beth Salmon, a new writing friend I met
at the Florida Writer's Association conference in October, for enticing me to reanimate this blog (is it now a zombie
blog??). She has tagged me to answer 10
questions in a blog hop. I’m not entirely
sure what a blog hop is, but because it sounds like a bar hop (and those are
fun), I decided to give it a try. So,
without further ado, here are my answers to her questions:
1) What genre(s) do you write, and why?
Right now I am writing YA historical fiction that strays
into the land of historical fantasy.
Why? Because I love
historicals. I love the romance and
grittiness of the past, the ultimate escape from the hectic modern world. I haven’t always written historicals, but
that’s another story…
2) Do you mostly read within your own genre, or do you
read others as well?
I read pretty much anything.
I love historicals (both YA and adult), so they make up the bulk of what
I read these days, but I read a lot of other genres, too. My only criteria for loving a book is that it
has characters that stick with me and a story that makes me think. And I am always on the hunt for a compelling
story, no matter what its genre.
3) What have you learned as a writer that you wish you
knew when you first started?
My mother is an author, so I thought I knew everything when
I started as a teen (don’t we all!), but I have learned that although I knew
the journey would be hard, I didn’t know how hard or how disappointing or
heartbreaking it could be. That said, I
wish I had known then to relax and be patient.
And enjoy the journey and each book as it comes. Not all books are going to be awesome and
that’s okay. Learn what you can and move
on.
4) What author or book speaks to you the most and why?
Les Miserables by
Victor Hugo. I have long been a Hugo
fan, but this particular novel touched me so deeply the first time I read
it. There was something about Jean
Valjean’s loneliness and his emotional separation from society that spoke to
me. I own three copies, in fact (two in English,
one in French). For the same reasons
(themes of loneliness), Smilla’s Sense of
Snow by Peter Hoeg is a very close second.
These are two books I come back to time after time because I can relate
to the emotional plight of these characters.
5) Do you have word/page count goals?
I try to write at least 500 words per day during the week
and more on the weekends. Sometimes this
is not a very realistic goal given that I work full time, have a crazy commute,
and a family.
6) Where do you do most of your writing?
I write everywhere. I
write while driving (not literally, usually); I hide in my car at lunch and write;
I write in the evening after everyone is in bed; and I get up crazy early and
write before going to work. I write in
notebooks, on scraps of paper, on the voice recorder on my phone, and on my
computer. That said, I have a favorite armchair
in my office at home that seems to be the place where everything writing comes
together.
7) If you could disappear somewhere for a few weeks to
completely immerse yourself in writing, where would you choose?
I am a hermit by nature, so that favorite armchair in my
office at home. And of course, all this would
happen in a magical world where there is no cooking, no cleaning, no work, no internet, and possibly no sleep…
8) Pick one of your main characters. If his/her
house were on fire, what would he/she choose to save and why?
I will choose the main character from my last novel, a sci
fi flop that I still enjoyed writing. If
Mara could save anything, it would be her sister. She cannot imagine life without her. If her sister were safe, she’d save her pet
rat!
9) What’s your bad writing habit?
I have several. I
love –ly adverbs, so those get culled in the first round of revision. I also love the words “just” and “only.” I have a penchant for long sentences. I’m also not very stellar with the world
building the first time (or two) around.
But that’s what revision is for!
10) What is your
writing goal for 2015?
I would like to finish and polish my current WIP.
Now, I would like to tag long-time critique partner Linda
Sandifer to answer these 10 questions:
1) What genre do you write and why?
2) What is the best book you’ve read in the last year and
why did you enjoy it?
3) What is the most valuable thing you’ve learned as a
writer?
4) Who is your favorite author and why?
5) Where and when do you prefer to write?
6) What’s your bad writing habit?
7) Christmas is coming up.
What is the one thing your main character would ask for?
8) Is there any genre or book that you would love to write
but are too intimated to?
9) How did you get started writing?
10) Are you able to write during the holiday season?
Happy Holidays, everyone!
3 comments:
I loved this interview, Amanda, and the blog hop/bar hop analogy! Glad to see you back and to see you writing something you truly love. Now for those ten questions....
Love it, especially the advice about not expecting everything to be a masterpiece. I think a bar hop might have been more fun, though, ;)
Beth and Linda, the next time you are in town, we're definitely doing the bar hop! ;)
Post a Comment