Pages

Aug 25, 2008

Places that Inspire

First, I'm sadly not going to make it to the RMFW Conference in Denver this year.  My life has been hectic and I have nothing to pitch!  The conference is coming up, and I strongly recommend writers to attend if they can.  This is a great, intimate conference.  I really love it!

Now, on to the subject of the post... Every time I go to the city (San Francisco), I get ideas for new stories.  What a wonderful place!  There's so much to see, so much atmosphere, and so many characters.  I think the city is going to convince me to start writing again... this time because I am happy and not because I need an outlet for my sadness, as it's been in the past.  

Speaking of happy, I've been pretty happy lately, and pretty busy with life, so I've been on sabbatical from writing.  But I think it will come back.  Got some great new story ideas when I was in the city this weekend.  Maybe I will try to write some short stories!

What places inspire you to write?

5 comments:

Linda Sandifer said...

Yes, do write some short stories. As for inspiring places, I'm drawn to ones where some interesting piece of history has taken place, or maybe a place that embodies a certain mood. I also like to put my characters in wide, open spaces where they have to rely on their own wits to survive.

Anonymous said...

Yes, come back to writing! You definitely should, I'm looking forward to reading your next work. :)

Grace

Anonymous said...

I am reading a wonderful book by Natalie Goldberg. Thunder and Lightning. It challenges the writer to move past traditional linear ways of developing stories. It approaches the writer to move beyond traditional writing process so that writing duplicates the way the mind assimilates information, intriguing. Through this process my writing becomes more authentic.

Anonymous said...

I live in New York City (Upper East Side.) I am fortunate to have a stimulating environment to see hear and smell 24/7. Use your immediate surroundings to enhance your fiction. It will ring true. The best writng I have recently read is Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner. Best of luck on your quest.

B.J. Anderson said...

I had to laugh when I saw this because it was exactly what I was planning on blogging about this week. Glad to hear you are thinking about getting back into the writing! I can't wait to read anything new of yours as well!! I have to say weather inspires me to write, and my mood.