Pages

Jul 5, 2008

Jane Eyre, Revisited

Recently I saw part of Masterpiece Theatre's production of Jane Eyre on PBS. I didn't get to see the whole mini-series, so I rented it on Netflix. I watched the first disk last night. Wow! What a great remake of this wonderful classic. It was so good, I was inspired to pull my battered old copy off the shelf (at midnight) and begin reading it again. I haven't read this book for nearly 20 years. I think I will finish it this morning... before I get the second disk from Netflix next week!!

I love going back and revisiting old, favorite classics. And I really love watching a movie based on a book and using it as an excuse to re-read the book. Have you seen any movies based on books lately? And if so, were you inspired to read the books again (or for the first time)?

3 comments:

B.J. Anderson said...

I'm thinking about this one. What a great post, I just have to mull over something I've read lately!

Anonymous said...

you are wonderful

Linda Sandifer said...

I was thinking of watching Jane Eyre but wasn't sure. Your endorsement helped make up my mind. I'll put it on my Netflix list today!

And I did just see a movie based on a book. It was "There Will Be Blood" with Daniel Day-Lewis. He did a great job of the part, and I can clearly see why he won an oscar, but it didn't inspire me to read the book. There was just something missing in the movie as a whole. Maybe because the main character wasn't likeable.