Pages

Aug 31, 2007

Writers of the Future Contest

I have been working on another story for my favorite short story venue: the Writers of the Future Contest. This is a great contest for unpublished authors of speculative fiction, primarily because there's no entrance fee! I use it as motivation; I try to submit a story every quarter. This helps me hone (or develop) my short short story skills, develop new ideas, and gives me a break from whichever novel I'm working on (or a break between novels). And if you like to read speculative fiction short stories, the anthology they publish every year usually has some great stuff in it!

2 comments:

Joni Labaqui said...

Hi Amanda,
I've spoken with a lot of winners over the years. Just keep on entering the contest and taking any comments from the judges to heart. Are you part of a writing group??

Amanda Gaume said...

John,

Thanks so much for your comment and advice! I am a member of Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers but don't live anywhere near the Denver area so can't take advantage of their critique groups. But, I do participate in an online group with a couple of writing friends from all over. I've been looking for one locally (we've just moved) but frankly don't even know where to start.

Thanks again!
Amanda