Good intentions often get waylaid, especially by the holidays. This blog is one example. My marathon training is another. After a badly sprained ankle just before Christmas (rain+trail+speed = disaster), I am finally getting back on my feet, so to speak. Training takes on a whole new meaning when you go from running 18 miles to fending off sweet holiday treats and tracing the alphabet with your toes. And let me tell you, I'd rather run 20 miles than have to pass up a piece of cheesecake! But I'm back and the plans are the same, only now with a different timeline.
The querying process is a lot like a marathon (or an ultramarathon!). It can be long, tiring, painful, and exhilarating. And it is a lot of hard work. More importantly, one fact holds true for both: you have to keep going to finish. This doesn't mean that you can't stop, have a drink of water, or tape up that blistered toe, but you do have to push forward if you're going to cross the finish line.
Even if your journey becomes a run across America, such as the one my running idol Dean Karnazes is doing, it will still have a finish. Perseverance is the key in any endurance sport, including querying. Keep moving. Keep writing. Keep sending. Remember: rejections are a lot like blistered toenails (boy, they hurt, but the damage is rarely life-threatening)... and eventually you will see that big FINISH line and get THE CALL.
Note: If you're interested in Dean's journey to benefit kids, go here (http://www.ultramarathonman.com/). You can even run a 5k with Dean in your city!
2 comments:
I loved this! Even for someone bitter and cynical like me who finds nothing inspiring anymore, I found this inspiring!
This is great inspiring post, Amanda. Yes, we should all keep running toward our goal.
Post a Comment