Pages

Jun 24, 2010

When it Snows on Your Summer Vacation

Sometimes life has other plans for you (or at least for me).  Take, for instance, my summer vacation.

I finally got away for some needed R&R.  I was going to Utah to see my groovy sister (love her!) and then to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park for some time in the mountains.  Because it was the middle of June and all the forecasts predicted 80 degree weather, I packed shorts, t-shirts, a bikini, and flip flops.  But when we got there, I learned two lessons:

1.  NEVER trust the weather report.
2.  Life is an adventure.

Instead of the hot summer hikes and lazy warm evenings in the hot tub/pool, lesson 1 gave me this:


This is where lesson number 2 comes in.  Who could have expected such an adventure!  Driving snow at 10,000 ft!  A somber atmosphere that will stick with me for years!!  You can bet your boots that this little mountain scene will make it into a book.  And I never knew sitting in the hot tub in the rain could be so much fun!  And I have the most awesomely warm souvenir sweater ever!

The weather also enticed us to think of indoor attractions.  So we decided to go here:



In case you don't recognize it, this is THE Stanley Hotel.  The what?  The Stanley Hotel!!   You know, the inspiration for Stephen King's The Shining.  AND we happened to go there when there was a Ghost Hunters' Convention!  So, we met Grant from Ghost Hunters, did a ghost and history tour, got some awesome pictures, and bought a bunch of books on paranormal phenomena for research for future urban fantasy/horror novels.

So, there are two major points to take home here (can you tell I've been making Power Point presentations at work??):
1.  You can find research and inspiration for writing anywhere.
and
2.  Sometimes life throws you a curve ball.  Sometimes it takes longer than you expected to get that agent.  Or THE agent you want, well, they reject your book.  Or you don't get to be a full-time writer like you always dreamed because you have to work to pay the bills.  Whatever kind of snow you get on your summer vacation, if you look at it right and keep a positive attitude, it can turn into the best vacation ever.

Keep writing.  Keep querying.  Keep dreaming.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful, unique adventure. I wouldn't expect snow in the summer either. It's great that you found that hotel, and during a ghost convention no less.

Blue Sage Writers said...

Your blog fits right in with my recent post, "Never Waste a Vacation." It sounds as if you definitely made good use of yours!