It dawned on me this morning that I'm stressed out about my day job. You probably figured this out from my last post (yes, there are flesh-eating monsters where I work, but they're not zombies), but I figured it out by the massive amount of cooking I've been doing lately. I cook when I'm stressed (usually without a recipe...which is not always a good thing). You should have seen the gourmet meals I cranked out when I was going through my divorce! I could have been the next Food Network Star.
But there's a better form of stress relief for me (one that doesn't make me put on the pounds). You guessed it! Writing! Lately, with all the querying and such, I'd forgotten how to write. I sit down to the computer and the next thing I know, I'm on Twitter. Blogger. Facebook. Hell, CNN. My precious writing time twittered (literally) away.
So, I'm learning how to write again. It involves a little notebook. And an ink pen. When I write in that book, the inhibitions of everything you're not supposed to do fade and the story comes out free form. I get to write for me, as Stephen King would say.
How do you write? When are you the most free with it?
And does anyone have a recipe for a killer pasta dish????
Happy writing!!
1 comment:
Going off somewhere away from anything powered by electricity or satellite is the best way to write a first draft. No distractions. I like to hide out at the ranch with a fat notebook and a mechanical pencil.
Post a Comment