Pages

Mar 28, 2008

Epiphany

So, I've had this book that I've been trying to write for years. Got to within the last 100 pages and couldn't finish it. It was one of those introspective stories, and I as a very young woman, I just didn't have the answers I needed to finish it.

But something happened this morning. An epiphany, if you will. And I found myself writing out those final, fateful words for the book while slurping my Cheerios. Perhaps today, I got a little wiser.

Now, don't get me wrong. I certainly can't tell you the meaning of life. But I can tell you this: that there is really no direction or path, that we simply must travel forward, and that in the end, we are essentially and always alone. Not in a bad way. But in a we-need-to-make-our-own-lives way. And that the best thing we can do in life is be happy (a very wise person told me that). And that by being happy we can be more effective in making those we care about and love happy.

Ok, so maybe I need another cup of really black tea, but that was my epiphany. I'll let you know if I still agree with it next week!

2 comments:

Linda Sandifer said...

I think it's wonderful. My mother was never one to try to impress her opinions on anyone, but one thing I do remember her saying is that you have to make yourself happy. Nobody can do it for you.

vitalievich said...

"The journey is the reward" (over-quoted Taoist proverb)

// off to make more tea and think about it...